Here are the girls, playing around a sculpture at the top of a look-out overlooking Russell. This was right around the time when Tiva started walking confidently on her own. Once she started, she didn't look back.
As we travelled more, we became more of a team. The plane trip down to Australia was pretty rough, just as expected, but we anticipated that it would become easier as we went along. And it did. For example, when Tivona was having trouble one day because she was too tired, Taya told her, "Tiva, when I get tired, I just rest my head and close my eyes and go to sleep. You look tired. You should just rest your head and close your eyes and go to sleep." And here Taya and Ljuba help Tivona climb a statue at Russell, NZ.
The cottage (Chapel Cottage) we stayed at was wonderful in Russell. We splurged a bit, but we'd love to go back! Here's Taya playing inside, teaching Ariana how to do upward dog.
We explored the beaches around Russell. They were picturesque, but after the Aussie beaches and the Queensland weather, given that we got overcast and rainy weather in the Bay of Islands, we weren't inspired to swim.
I had bemoaned how we hadn't got Tiva out into nature the way we had with Taya, and how that meant that Tivona just wasn't as comfortable doing 'bush pees' as Nanna calls them. Well, this trip was good training, and now we have two bush-pee-ers. (Every time I look at this pic I think how much I look like my brother Chee there.)
Because of the rainy weather, we don't have tons of photos from the Bay of Islands. After a nevertheless-wonderful three day visit, we drove down to Arches farmstead near Parua Bay, just East of Whangarei. The weather had cleared up by then, enough that it made the photos worthwhile and inspired me to dip into the ocean. Because I didn't have trunks handy (and you can imagine how fully packed our car was), you won't see pics of that adventure. The girls were inspired to join me, and we've got a bunch of fun pics of them, too, but nothing decent enough for the blog. Here's the gorgeous spot, though!
And here are our girls, enjoying it.
The weather wasn't super the next day, either. Actually, it poured. But we were determined not to let the weather prevent us from getting out. Ljuba and I love the NZ geography, so we were going to go see it, even if it drenched us. OK, that was my attitude. Lj's was 'even if we have to spend hours bundling up the girls so they barely feel a sprinkle'. Turns out that was impossible, because the rain was heavy and the wind strong.
Everyone was fine to start, while it was just drizzling.
The countryside was gorgeous, so I pushed us on as far as I could while the clouds loomed behind. I wanted to make it over the other side of this peak and back, but unfortunately the cloud burst and soaked us. We stopped for lunch under dense-canopied tree, and then we walked and ran back while the wind howled in our faces. Taya was losing it, but she loves stories, so I jumped into stories of my family hiking when we were young. Like the time when Auntie Soo did a ten-km hike near Jasper when she was barely three years old, and we saw an avalanche at the top. And the time that same summer in Alberta when we hiked around a lake in shorts and short-sleeves, with dark clouds looming. Mum/Nanna said, "Well, if it rains, we get wet." Of course, when those clouds burst they emptied hailstones the size of marbles, which soon coated the trail and the forest floor. I remember running the long way back to the car, having Mum/Nanna switch piggybacking Chee and I while Dad/Grandpa carried Soo, only to have my hands so numb I couldn't open the car door. These stories made Taya much happier in our own private adventure.
The Arches lodge (farm-stay) was a wonderful place to hole up in lousy weather. Ada took us out one day, and showed us how to call to the two friendly sheep who actually come greet people, even bringing their lambs. It was so memorable, charming Kiwi Ada hollering to her sheep that to this day, Tivona and Taya both imitate her, "HAAAY-lee! HAAAY-lee! MAAAA-ma! MAAAA-ma! Where are ya girl?" Since one of the two friendly sheep's names was 'Mama', T'n'T now like to do it to get Ljuba's attention. Here's the paddock beside the wonderful big farmhouse we stayed in.
Of course we didn't make sophisticated meals while we were away. We did, however, still eat well. And the girls still had their treats--or at least one of the two kinds they get. You know, a tiny corner of dark chocolate (we didn't find a good source of dried seaweed). It's amazing how excited they can get for those. At first we occasionally tried to eat chocolate without them, but it's pretty tough. Once, after I surreptitiously passed Lj a square of chocolate and she popped it in her mouth without the girls seeing, Taya exclaimed "I smell chocolate! Can I have some chocolate, please? I want some chocolate!" Tiva: "Coc-co-la! Coc-co-la!" After that we just give them a tiny morsel, and they're appeased.
Before we knew it, the vacation part of our NZ trip was over, and we were off to Auckland for my conference. It was hard for me to switch gears, and hard for me to split my time between the conference and all its associated activities and Ljuba and the girls (who don't usually come on work trips with me). In this 42s special-moment video, Tivona shows more of an interest in going than I did. Since Ljuba was on her own with the girls most of them time, we don't have many photos or videos, but here's a 64s everyday-life video of the girls collecting flowers and Tiva feeding herself.
Tivona and Taya collect flowers, Tiva feeds herself
Ljuba took them to an Underwater World centre, where the girls got to stand in a model shark mouth,
and watch penguins swimming (in this 38s special-moment video; more of the penguins than the girls).
Penguins swimming in an Underwater World
And on the last day of our trip, after the conference was done, we all explored the city a bit. In the 35s everyday-life video below the girls drive on a play car.
Tivona and Taya driving a playground car
And then it was time to say goodbye to Auckland, from the taxi (this 27s special-moment video). Thanks for the wonderful trip, New Zealand!
Bye-bye, Auckland!
No comments:
Post a Comment